top of page


The UK attracts the best nurses from around the world and standards are exceptionally high. Recruiters will be assessing whether the applicant is capable of practising safely and effectively as a nurse in the UK.

SG Recruitment works closely with each employer in the UK and with the individual nurses to ensure all the necessary UK visa requirements are met.

Overseas nurses must be registered nurses in their own country and have undertaken a minimum of three years of nursing training.


1 years’ minimum experience as a registered nurse, although most recruiters are looking for at least 2-3 years of experience.


Immigration requirements
All overseas trained nurses wanting to work in the UK must take the OSCE and meet UK immigration requirements. More on UK visas & immigration.


Required paperwork

  • Valid passport

  • Birth certificate

  • Qualification certificate(s)

  • Registration certificates from each jurisdiction where the applicant has practised and/or been registered

  • Two employment references confirming the applicant’s post-registration practice of at least 12 months, their competence and character

  • Verifications from all jurisdictions where the applicant practised or where the applicant has been previously registered

  • Transcript of training for all relevant nursing or midwifery programmes completed by the applicant. These must be calculated in hours or be accompanied by a letter from the training institution with a key to how the credits translate to hours

  • A good health declaration from the applicant’s general practitioner or the occupational health department at their place of work

  • A police clearance certificate from all countries where the applicant has lived since the age of 18


Registering with the NMC
Overseas nurses wanting to work in the UK need to register as a nurse with the NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council). You can register with the NMC online and they have a step-by-step guide on how to find out if you are eligible:

Language & skills
You will need to pass an English language test (OET) and also pass the Test of Competence (CBT/OSCE) to show your level of English and your nursing skills are sufficient to practice safely and efficiently as a nurse in the UK.

More about: OETCBTOSCE

bottom of page